Friday, August 31, 2007

1st september - remembering teacher's day (in s'pore)

yesterday, i received a few 'happy teacher's day' messages. these greetings must have come from those who are still unaware that i have retired.

it sets me reflecting upon my happier days as a teacher. i think my first 10 years as a teacher in balestier hill technical (now, seconday) school were my happiest.

i began my career in balestier and taught in the school for 11 years before i applied and got a transfer to ghim moh secondary. after 7 years in ghim moh, i requested for a posting to another school and ended up at monk's hill secondary, where i stayed for about 12 years. in 1998, upon completion of my pe diploma course, i applied for a transfer to a primary school.

although there were the initial adjustments, i soon got into the groove of things and was quite comfortable during the first few years. i had told myself that i would like to experience 10 years of primary school before i called it a day. however, this was not to be the case; in 2006 i was successful in my application for optional retirement, which meant i was 2 years short of my target.

i have no regret retiring prematurely. you often hear people say that health is more important than money. i was giving up more than 100k a year by quitting my job. i still have to see my two daughters through their university education in australia. but, as i see it, my health - both mental and physical - was more important than the money i could have earned.

i am into my ninth month of retirement and i still want to continue to enjoy my retirement. i have been approached a few times by different people to go back to work as an adjunct teacher or a relief teacher and i have turned down all offers.

my philosphy of life seems to be in focus since my retirement. now that life expectancy is 80 years or more, it should be broken up into 3 phases. phase 1: you spend the first 20 years of your life preparing for work; phase 2: you work for about 40 years; and phase 3: you should enjoy the last 20 years doing your own things/the things you enjoy. if one enjoys teaching, by all means, go back to school.

No comments: