Wednesday, June 27, 2007


scrap metal - a source of pocket money

the prices of scrap metal have gone up in tandem with its high demand. copper appears to be lucrative, fetching a higher price than aluminium, tin, lead and zinc. the scrap yards in sungei kadut display big banners welcoming sellers of such commodities.

i was told that in china, the thieves stripped off metal structures in public places in broad daylight, just as they had done in certain parts of singapore. i have come across, in remote places in singapore, rubber insulators discarded by copper wire thieves.

i am reminded of my childhood days - at the time when japan embarked on industrialisation - and there was a great demand for metals, especially iron and aluminium. we used to go around the neighbourhood and beyond hunting for rusty nails, screws, nuts and bolts and all things iron. we stored them in metal tins and sold them to the 'karang guni' man.

there was this incident which we would sometimes recount: my second sister (xiao huay) was punished for returning home way past dinner time. she kept telling my mother " woh buay kong, woh buay kong". my mother responded angrily, " loo, buay kong, woh pak kah lerh kong."

she was trying to explain to my mother that she sold the tin cans that she had collected. my mother took it to mean that she could not divulge the reason for her being late in coming home. so her angry response was: if you refuse to tell me, i will beat you until you tell me the reason.

No comments: